King’s Cross Church began as a prayer among the leadership of Crossroads Church and Archbold Evangelical Church to see the gospel of Jesus Christ further transform our region. In 2011 these two churches formed a partnership with the goal of establishing a new community of believers in Defiance. The founding churches called Sam Andres to be the lead pastor of King’s Cross Church. He trained a core team of people committed to seeing the gospel shine brighter in Defiance.
The Lord directed a few people from both of these churches to start meeting together in Defiance, again, to pray. As the Lord answered prayers, and as we loved our neighbors in simple ways, this tiny group slowly grew. We started in homes, and that’s where the life of our church will always stay. The center of our church life has always been meeting in homes to share meals, pray, encourage and challenge one another through God’s Word. Check out Discipleship Groups and Gospel Life Groups.
We do not own a building so the location of our Sunday gathering has moved around over our church’s lifetime.
1. We launched public worship gatherings in September 2013 at The Compass, aka The Skylark (2013-2014).
2. Less than a year later we moved to the Schomburg Auditorium on Defiance College campus (2014-2016).
3. We moved to the Stroede Center for the Arts and have happily worshiped the Lord in that bright and beautiful space for four years, but had to leave because of of space limitations with the pandemic (2016-2020).
4. For four months we worshiped outside in the splendor of creation at Independence Dam State Park (June-September 2020).
5. Currently we gather on Sundays at 10am at the Defiance YMCA Youth Center (1599 Palmer Dr. Defiance, OH 43512).
We also renovated a shop space at 521 West Second St. Defiance that we call “The Commons” where we have offices, meetings, parties, and studies. Stop in and see us at the Commons during the week.
We are grateful for what the Lord has done so far over the life of our church, and also think the best is yet to come. We are grateful to be a small part of God’s grand story that He is writing!